Forms: Too Many Cursors

From: challinj <challinj_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 23:28:01 GMT

I am basing Oracle Forms data blocks on procedures that return REF CURSORs to the client. It appears that the cursors are opened on the server and never closed after they are used to retrieve the data for the Oracle Form. It is just a matter of time before "ORA-01000 Too Many Open Cursors" rears its ugly head and no further querying for the user is possible. The OPEN_CURSORS parameter in INIT.ORA is 50.

I initially had my forms based on PL/SQL tables and thought that it would be a nice exercise to try REF CURSORs instead. Too bad that Oracle documentation failed to mention that any cursors opened on the server in my packages will remain open indefinitely. It would be nice if Oracle Forms could automatically close the REF CURSORs on the server for me once the data has been retrieved. Is there any other option other than raising the OPEN_CURSORS param to a high number? I've noticed that others have had similar problems with Java resultsets, etc.

Any help or input on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Tue Dec 12 2000 - 17:28:01 CST