Re: Hardware tips

From: Sindre Solem <sindre.solem_at_emmaedb.no>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 11:00:06 +0100

<denevge_at_my-deja.com> skrev i melding news:912vgu$g1a$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> execute the following : sar -u <interval> <number of samples>
> eg sar -u 2 5 : this will give you 5 metrics.
> Here you can see how the system is performing :
> how many % of the cpu is given to user processes
> how many % of the cpu is given to system processes
> how many % of the cpu is waiting for i/o
> how manu % of the cpu is idle

Running this a few times I get values from 0 to 96 for waiting for i/o. Should it really get that high?

> if you see a large "waiting for i/o" this means there could be a
> bottleneck on the i/o performance.
> If so, execute sar -q x y. Look at the run-queue. If it's +5, you
> have a cpu performance problem. ( could be cause by a high "waiting for
> i/o )
> If "waiting for i/o" is high, check vmstat to see if you paging.

vmstat gives these paging statistics:

        page
re mf pi po fr de sr
 0 21 26 0 0 0 0

This means that nothing has been paged out, right? Received on Tue Dec 12 2000 - 04:00:06 CST