Re: SQL Server -> Oracle 8i

From: Luggy <dave_at_oracle-consultant.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:57:26 GMT

Jacek,

The best utility out there is free! Oracle Migration Workbench (OMW, available for download at http://technet.oracle.com if you're a member) is very good at the job.

However, you must remember that some things in SQL Server don't have direct equivalents in Oracle. For some of these things, OMW will convert your code with a workaround (e.g. converts identity columns from SQL Server, to a post-insert trigger in Oracle which select the column value from a squence). For other things, it just shows a warning/error (e.g. warns that granularity of date/times in Oracle only goes down to seconds).

Give it a go. It is a very nice tool, but if you have lots of stored procedures, you will have some manual conversion to do too. I have done a couple of SQL Server conversions using it, and OMW is definitely a time-saver.

Hope this helps,

Dave Henderson.

In article <913ghq$va6$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   jzuffoletto_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> In article <90q2n6$mec$1_at_flis.man.torun.pl>,
> "Chmielewski Jacek"
> <jacekch_at_mail.atr.bydgoszcz.pl> wrote:
> > What is the best tool to transfer database from
 SQl Server 6.5 to Oracle 8i

--
Any opinions expressed in the above posting are entirely factual and obj
Please do not argue with me, as my Dad is bigger than your Dad.