Re: Check for database corruption?

From: Aaron <asentell_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 18:31:25 GMT

Yes, export does check for data block corruption in the tables. The indexes, however, are not included in this check. Since we already check the tables on a regular basis via the full exports, perhaps we will look into implementing a routine to check the indexes on a regular basis, using "analyze index...validate structure" so that all our bases are covered. Or perhaps we'll determine it's overkill.

In article <90rpui$bnk$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   jdarrah_co_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> If you preform a full export every night and you don't use the
 direct=y
> option, you are already doing your consistancy check. Also, if using
> RMAN, you can use the check logical clause. I like to lean on the
 side
> of paranioa when it comes to corruption.
>
> In article <90rjtm$6pc$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> Aaron <asentell_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> > I'm fairly new to Oracle but not to database administration. As a
> > Sybase DBA, I made sure that I ran a database consistency check on
 all
> > my production databases at least once a week. From what I've read
 and
> > seen thus far, however, this same level of precaution is not
 necessarily
> > required for Oracle, although I'm quite sure this is not Oracle's
> > official position.
> >
> > I want to get some input from DBAs who are out there in the trenches
 and
> > have experience with this. Is it worth the time to run "analyze
> > table...verify structure cascade" on a regular basis in production
> > databases? Note that we perform a full export every night in
 addition
> > to database backups.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Aaron