Re: Hardware tips

From: Sindre Solem <sindre.solem_at_emmaedb.no>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 16:00:50 +0100

"Joe Maloney" <jrpm_at_my-deja.com> skrev i melding news:912m69$81a$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> How big is your SGA, particularly your DB Block Buffer pool? Sort Area
> Space? Multi-Block read count? Shared Pool size? These can have a
> bigger impact on performance than IDE. For a 768MB RAM system with 16
> users you should be able to handle an SGA between 256MB and 512MB
> without difficulty (depending on transactions and table structure).

I'm getting a 99.6891123 % hit on the buffer pool, 0.115 % miss on the library cache,
0.914 % miss on the shared pool, 0 disk sorts and the total I/O is very well balanced
between the two disks.

I have a multi-block read count of 8. Should this be much higher?

The clients are connected to the server on a 100Mb network

> Also, remember that the SGA should not be swapped out. It is supposed
> to be resident, so be sure to check the OS virtual memory, etc.
>
> Second consideration, two drives is 3 too few, ideally, unless you are
> dealing with something like EMC or a multiple channel controller. BUt,
> for only 15 users, the transactions should be too quick for that to be
> a major factor.
>
> Third and most important, consider the table structure and transaction
> sql. Are you doing a lot of table scans? The usual ground rule is
> that performance is 70% application logic (including things like what
> are the indexes, etc.).

The same application/db is running smoothly on new NT servers (with 2 SCSI disks).
This makes me suspect hardware/OS tuning issues.

> In article <912kjm$6o4$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> Dennis <dwehlman_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> > I run Oracle 7 and 8 on a Sun Sparc 20 with 192 MB RAM and external
> > disk pack. There was more than 15 users working with the instance at
> > the same time with an OLTP application. And there was no problems.
> > Is disk i/o slow down your system?
> > Check swapping of your system.
> > Check Oracle server parameters (buffers ...) in initSID.ora. Reduce
> > memory allocation of Oracle if needed.
> > I think it's not only your IDE disk slow down your system.
> > Dennis
> >
> > In article <y12Z5.1073$pj.33475_at_news1.oke.nextra.no>,
> > "Sindre Solem" <sindre.solem_at_emmaedb.no> wrote:
> > > We're running Oracle 8.1.6 on a Sun Ultra 10, with 768 MB memory and
> > > disks. What we're finding is that the performance is unacceptably
 low
 for an