Re: Please Help: table locking

From: <susana73_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 02:25:14 GMT

In article <913tjl$aks$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Mike Krolewski <mkrolewski_at_rosetta.org> wrote:
> In article <913s5g$9dm$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> susana73_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> > I have an app that open 2 database connections concurrently. It hangs
> > couple times a week due to table lock. The following is a report
 shows
> > what happen:
> >
> > USERNAME SID SERIAL# TY HELD REQUEST
> > SQL
> > PROD_USER 13 124 TX Exclusive None
> > UPDATE object set flag = 1 WHERE plan = 'A' AND Id = 3466629
> >
> > PROD_USER 29 9034 TX None Share
> > UPDATE object set flag = 1 WHERE plan = 'B' AND Id = 3466631;
> >
> > The two sessions(SID 13,29) are updating different rows so I have no
> > idea how this can generate locks. Session 13 is held as EXCLUSIVE and
> > Session 29 are requesting as SHARE. What does that mean and would
 this
> > be a hint to solve this problem?
> >
> > I do not specify any locking feature explicitly in my application at
> > all.
> >
> > Please Help!! Thanks.
> >
> > Susan
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >

> Needs more information. It is unlikely that based on the above
> statements and no other users on-line that the database will hang.
> How big are the tables (rows/extents/tablespace)? Are there any
> indexes? Are there any ohter users on line? If you openned two
> connectinos and executed the above statements with no there users, the
> system hangs? Or does it just take alot of time?
>
> --
> Michael Krolewski
> Rosetta Inpharmatics
> mkrolewski_at_rosetta.org
> Ususual disclaimers

There are 800k rows. Tablespace is 20GB. Extents of the 'object' table is 2000 extents(i know this is not optimized and I'll fix this later). There is a combined PK on object(id,plan). There are no other users on line. To update one row should take a second, so I am sure it hangs.

Thanks!

Susan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Dec 11 2000 - 20:25:14 CST