Re: clustering factor

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 19:31:46 -0000

The clustering factor is a measure of how well sorted the data is in relation to the index. Size is relative - if the data is perfectly sorted for the index, the clustering factor should match the number of blocks in the table, if the data is extremely randomly distributed w.r.t the index then the clustering factor will be similar to the number of rows in the table.

For 12M rows, a clustering factor of 1M sounds a little large (unless the rows are so large that you have only 12 rows per block).

Note: the above comments do not apply to bitmap indexes which always have a very
small clustering factor. The numbers may also be distorted in 8.1 by compressed,
reverse key or function based indexes.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Practical Oracle 8i:  Building Efficient Databases

Publishers:  Addison-Wesley
Book bound date: 8th Dec 2000
See a first review at:
http://www.ixora.com.au/resources/index.htm#practical_8i