Re: HELP! oracle 8i install questions help! HELP!

From: Rob Diaz <rdiaz_at_ebudgets.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:07:21 -0500

Wow. I'll do what I can to help you.

  1. Get confirmation of what is required on this one. I use Internet Information Server as my internet server, so I am biased, but you will need an internet server to do any web-enabling. Then, the front-end is just like any other application. With IIS, you use ODBC/RDS to connect to the database. Our servers are up 24/7 and are not having any trouble.
  2. Yes. If you need the database to be recoverable, I recommend a tape backup.
  3. I'd recommend a dual Pentium III, 800 Mhz or more. Get 500 MB (or more) of RAM. Disk space is tough to determine without knowing the type and amount of data you are keeping. I'd say get a 30+ GB drive for data storage. You'd be better of if you can get 2 physical drives and keep the temporary tablespaces on one drive and the data tablespaces on the other.
  4. Windows 2000 server (SP1) is definitely better than NT 4 (SP6a). I recently upgraded and it is far smoother. JUST MAKE SURE that you have Oracle 8.1.6 or higher, as lower versions do not run well on Win2k.
  5. If they REALLY get a 56k connection, they should be good, depending on how much data has to be transferred over the wire. They will, of course, be slower in there homes than in the computer center, but 56k is ok. If you could get them all DSL, that would certainly be better.
  6. IIS, etc.
  7. Performance will be better on the server. I use a workstation to do the administration and it is "normally" ok. I have 160 MB of Ram on a standard Pentium II, 350 Mhz PC running Windows 98.

Hope this helps!

Rob

joe <god_lou_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:VeBY5.15781$1p2.828161_at_typhoon.mn.mediaone.net...
> I have to install 8i on a server on a NOVELL network with windows 98
 clients
> accessing the server. Some workstations have 64 megs of ram and some have
> 32megs of ram and between 2-15 gigabytes of hard drive space.
> Our Professors will be teaching a class using oracle teaching SQL/PLUS and
> the students will need to connect from home, and a computer lab (client).
 We