Re: Oracle8i on Sun Solaris 8

From: Allan Plesniarski <aplesnia_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 19:07:36 GMT

The "out of memory" error is most likely due to shared memory kernel parameters.
Increase shmmax to 1GB exactly (max 4GB on Solaris) and reboot. A user process can theoretically grab (shmseg x shmmax) bytes of shared memory.
The amount of memory the instance is trying to allocate as determined by the $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/initSID.ora file is in excess of the current (shmseg x shmmax).

Allan

In article <3A2D8BE8.6DC44B9D_at_intel.com>,   Tom Waterhouse <tomx.waterhouse_at_intel.com> wrote:
> Lee,
>
> Was your attempted install on Solaris Intel or SPARC? I have not been
 able to
> successfully install Oracle 8i (8.1.6 Enterprise) on Solaris 8 for
 Intel, and
> have made a posting in this group stating this (Oracle 8.1.6
 installation
> error on Solaris 8 for Intel).
>
> The error that I am getting is an 'out-of-memory' error. Running the
> $ORACLE_HOME/admin/oracle/create/oracle1.sh script will generate this
 error.
> My thought was that Solaris had to be modified as described in the
 Oracle
> pre-installation instructions. Perhaps there is a general
 incompatiblity with
> Oracle 8i and Solaris 8.
>
> Tom Waterhouse
> Intel Internet Business Solutions
>
> Lee wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Does any one out there successfully installed Oracle 8i on Sun
 Solaris 8 ?
> > I read the installation guide and it says that the o.s required is
 Solaris
> > 2.6 or 2.7 but didn't mention Solaris 7 or Solaris 8.
> > I tried to install it on Solaris 8 and get an error message when the
> > Database Configuration Assistant try to create the database instance
> > at the end of the installation.
> >
> > Thanks and regards
> > Lee

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Dec 11 2000 - 13:07:36 CST