Re: Synonym or View?

From: Mark Styles <cdo_at_lambic.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 12:23:57 -0500

On Sat, 09 Dec 2000 16:40:29 GMT, david_petit_at_yahoo.com wrote:

>Hello all,
>
> I want to direct A_Alias to table A. Which one is better (just for
>select, no modification of table A)?
>
>1) Built a public synonym from A_Alias to A
>2) Built a view A_Alias that select * from A
>
> in terms of performance, security and easy for administration.

Definitely the synonym (private may be better than public for just one user), for various reasons:

You have to grant select on the table, whichever option you choose

If the table structure ever changes you will have to change the view, no need to change the synonym.

The syonym requires less overhead (marginal, but still) Received on Sat Dec 09 2000 - 11:23:57 CST