Re: Time Zone Differences???

From: Mike Krolewski <mkrolewski_at_rosetta.org>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 05:56:14 GMT

In article <90sdjr$qbv$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   stemp1ar_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> If I use the below to convert to a standard, is there a way of finding
> out from oracle...What is the current Time Zone? In the conversion
> below how can I find out if we are in CDT or CST?
>
> select to_char(new_time(sysdate,'CDT','GMT'),'mm/dd/yyyy hh:mi:ss')
> from dual
>
> In article <90jo4l$qun$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> Mike Krolewski <mkrolewski_at_rosetta.org> wrote:
> > In article <90je19$hnp$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > stemp1ar_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > > How do you account for users in a different time zone?
> > >
> > > Like when the server is in CST and users are in EST, and CST
 springs
> > > ahead and falls back an hour?
> > >
> > > I know of a program program written in C that will get the zone
 info,
> > > but is there another way of going about this?
> > >
> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.
> > >

> > There are several possible solutions to this. If only one server
> > exists, all time is specific to the server if one uses SQL to set
 time.
> > If the client software sets the time, you have to be aware of this.
> >
> > Assuming time to the second is important, one could store both the
> > users local time and a standard global time eg GMT. One can then
 alway
> > tell the user the time he/she did something and determine when two
> > events happened via the global time.
> >
> > If space makes two time stamps impractical, store all events in a
> > particular time zone eg the server time or GMT. Then always convert
 the
> > time to the time zone of the user.
> >
> > I personally developed my multizone software to convert the server
 time
> > to the client time via sysdate and a timezone assigned to the user.
 One
> > has to convert standard timezones to daylight savings and back twice
> > year.
> >
> > If the date is all that is important, you use the local time to
> > determine which day it is, and store the date truncated or the date
 at
> > midnight. Often a date in the future is just that, a day in the
 future.
> > There is not hour::minute::second component. The major issue here is
> > that you do not convert this day when changing timezones. The day is
> > the day.
> >
> > --
> > Michael Krolewski
> > Rosetta Inpharmatics
> > mkrolewski_at_rosetta.org
> > Ususual disclaimers
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Oracle cannot determine the time zone that user or the server is in.

You could call host functions to get the time with time zone. In Unix there is ctime() among others. Most of the shells (sh, csh, ksh ) and small languages ( awk, perl ) should have a way to get the time.

--
Michael Krolewski
Rosetta Inpharmatics