Re: Need fast response

From: Mike Krolewski <mkrolewski_at_rosetta.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 19:26:22 GMT

In article <3A30BC41.167F_at_yahoo.com>,
  connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Liz Reen wrote:
> >
> > In article <cZrT5.60$vf1.7882_at_paloalto-snr1.gtei.net>, theom_at_gte.net
> > says...
> > > Tony:
> > > Appears OK from manual. If you only give it one name, it
 will prompt
> > > for another when the first is full.
> > > Don't forget the FILESIZE parameter, that is a new parameter
 too.
> > > HTH
> > > Ted
> >
> > What version of Oracle does this? It is a new method to me. I do
 have
> > tables greater than 2 gigabytes. I thought the export limitation
 was
> > within Oracle.
> >
> > Liz
> >
> > > "Tony Walby" <tony.walby_at_bridgewatersystems.com> wrote in message
 In the

> 8.0+ I think has the new FILESIZE parameter...
>

> HTH
> --
> Connor McDonald
> http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
> http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)
>

> "Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"

Online documentation is a useful thing. One can generate a CD with the entire manual set for easy reading (HTML or PDF)

From the 8i manual:

FILE Specifies the names of the export files. The default extension is .dmp, but you can specify any extension. Because Export supports multiple export files (see the parameter FILESIZE on page 1-20), you can specify multiple filenames to be used. When Export reaches the value you have specified for the maximum FILESIZE, Export stops writing to the current file, opens another export file with the next name specified by the parameter FILE and continues until complete or the maximum value of FILESIZE is again reached. If you do not specify sufficient export filenames to complete the export, Export will prompt you to provide additional filenames.

FILESIZE Export supports writing to multiple export files and Import can read from multiple export files. If you specify a value (byte limit) for the FILESIZE parameter, Export will write only the number of bytes you specify to each dump file. When the amount of data Export must write exceeds the maximum value you specified for FILESIZE, it will get the name of the next export file from the FILE parameter (see FILE on page 1-19 for more information) or, if it has used all the names specified in the FILE parameter, it will prompt you to provide a new export filename. If you do not specify a value for FILESIZE (note that a value of 0 is equivalent to not specifying FILESIZE), then Export will write to only one file, regardless of the number of files specified in the FILE parameter.

Note: If the space requirements of your export file exceed the available disk space, Export will abort and you will have to repeat the Export after making sufficient disk space available. The FILESIZE parameter has a maximum value equal to the maximum value that can be stored in 64 bits.

Table 1–2 shows that the maximum size for dump files depends on the operating system you are using and on the version of the Oracle server that you are using.

Table 1–2 Maximum SIze for Dump Files

Operating System           Version of Oracle Server      Maximum Size
------------------------   -------------------------     --------------
Any                         Prior to 8.1.5                     2g
32-bit                      8.1.5                              2g
64-bit                      8.1.5 and later                 Unlimited
32-bit with 32-bit files    Any                              2g
32-bit with 64-bit files    8.1.6 and later                Unlimited

Note: The maximum value that can be stored in a file is dependent on your operating system. You should verify this maximum value in your operating system-specific documentation before specifying FILESIZE. You should also ensure that the file size you specify for Export is supported on the system on which Import will run.

The FILESIZE value can also be specified as a number followed by K (number of kilobytes). For example, FILESIZE=2K is the same as FILESIZE=2048. Similarly, M specifies megabytes (1024 * 1024) while G specifies gigabytes (1024**3). B remains the shorthand for bytes; the number is not multiplied to obtain the final file size (FILESIZE=2048b is the same as FILESIZE=2048).

--
Michael Krolewski
Rosetta Inpharmatics

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/