Re: Tables per Tablespace

From: Tony Walby <tony.walby_at_bridgewatersystems.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 10:41:28 -0500

Are you aware that a tablespace can have multiple datafiles. I do not believe there is a limit on the number of table sin a tablespace. Actually it is recommended that you keep all you app tables in one tablespace, separate you indexes into a separate tablespace of course and you could also separate you add-on appdata to another tablespace.

Generally you should keep your datafile under 2G (Could run into Oracles 2G limitation on some platforms and versions).

Here is what I do.

Tablespaces                            Datafiles
system                                     system01.dbf
temp                                        temp01.dbf
usr                                           usr01.dbf
rollback                                    rollback01.dbf
                                                rollback02.dbf
rbs_big                                     rbs_big01.dbf
app_[appname]_data                app_[appname]_data01.dbf
                                               app_[appname]_data02.dbf
app_[appname]_index              app_[appname]_index01.dbf
                                               app_[appname]_index02.dbf
tools                                        tools01.dbf
misc                                        misc01.dbf

Should be self explanatory.