Re: How to get rid of temporary segments

From: Rob Diaz <rdiaz_at_ebudgets.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 08:32:55 -0500

I have a similar question, though I don't know if the problem is the same.

A client of ours is always complaining about the fact that after they resummarize their data in our application, the TEMPORARY tablespace is about 3.9 GB. Oracle reports that 3.89 GB are "in use". I have re-created the situation here, only it was 3.1 GB (3056MB allocated, 3054MB used). Anyway, this never changed. I just bounced the db and it is now freeing up the temporary space. The client keeps complaining that if they run a second resummarization it tries to grow the tablespace some more until it runs out of disk space. They are using Oracle 7 (UNIX) and I am using Oracle 8.0 (NT4) and 8.16 (Win 2K).

I have seen this behavior on all of these versions of Oracle.

What I am asking is if there is a way to force oracle to clear the temporary space when the query that is using it completes.

Thanks

Rob