Re: How to get rid of temporary segments

From: Philippe Michel <Philippe.Michel_at_syseca.thomson-csf.com>
Date: 6 Dec 2000 09:04:31 GMT

In article <amtq2t45qptulapi2r959ei9f8e9pjtncb_at_4ax.com>, Yurasis Dragon <yurasis_spamNOSPAM_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>Short of bouncing a database how do I get rid of
>temporary segments. I have one, owned by SYS,
>that is almost 2 gb in size and will cause problems
>if we have a big sort occuring anytime soon.

This is perfectly normal. If the tablespace is temporary, it contains only one segment owned by sys. All users for which the tablespace is their temporary tablespace use this same segment. In your case, 2gb is the high water mark of temp space use, not necessarily the current use.

You can shrink it (if in use) or delete it with a : alter tablespace <the tablespace> default storage (pctincrease 0); but this is normally not useful. Received on Wed Dec 06 2000 - 03:04:31 CST