Re: Uploading data for star schema

From: Randi Wølner <rw_at_computas.no>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 10:22:52 GMT

Hello,
I have a situation that seems to be a bit the same. What I do is that I create a large table, and use SQL*Loader with the Direct Path Option (makes the load run very fast!) to load the whole file into this table. Then I have packages of PL/SQL stored procedures that I run to perform all the logic. These procedures loops through the large table with cursors (I process 3000 rows in every cursor), and perform the inserts and updates to the 'real' tables.

This is the best way I have found so far, maybe you can use some of it.

Best regards,
Randi Wølner

<sw_at_weinerfamily.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> This won't work for several reasons. For clarification:
> 1) I will be uploading several million rows and Access would explode
> 2) This process will be done regularly and some of the data will already
 be
> in the database so if the record is already there I need to get the id.
 If