Re: Can I Copy an entirely database without export utility?

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 22:46:06 GMT

In our last gripping episode "Fran" <mafc73_at_latinmail.com> wrote:
> I want to create an identical copy of an existing database in other
 pc with
> identical oracle version (8.0.5) and operating system (Linux
 Redhat6.2). I
> don't want to do this with export/import utilities. I want copy the
> datafiles, redos, .., etc and recreating the controlfiles. Is this
 posible?

> Thanks

You would need to shut down the source database. You would then need to copy every file necessary for the instance. You could copy these via a network connection; you would also need to have the directory structures exactly the same for the database files on both systems. Having copied everything from one server to another, and ensuring the locations match, the new instance should start without any problems.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/