Re: Time Zone Differences???

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 20:30:51 GMT

In article <90je19$hnp$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   stemp1ar_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> How do you account for users in a different time zone?
>
> Like when the server is in CST and users are in EST, and CST springs
> ahead and falls back an hour?
>
> I know of a program program written in C that will get the zone info,
> but is there another way of going about this?

Oracle provides a function to do these conversions: new_time. You do have to know the time zones involved though.

    1 select to_char(sysdate,'YYYYMMDD HH24:MI:SS') Eastern,   2 to_char(new_time(sysdate,'EDT','CDT'),'YYYYMMDD HH24:MI:SS') Central
  3* from sys.dual
UT1> /

EASTERN CENTRAL

20001205 15:29:42 20001205 14:29:42
--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.