what is memory being used for?

From: <gdas_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 16:32:25 GMT

Hi,
Could someone provide any tips on analyzing memory usage problems? We have a dev system (8.1.5 on NT) with 1 gig of physical ram. SGA is sized at about 1/3 the physical ram. This morning I noticed the machine was running at almost 2 gigs of memory with heavy swap activity. Looking at v$systat and v$sesstat, it appears all this memory is allocated to session uga & pga for the sessions. The number of sessions does not look out of the ordinary (about 45). We are not running in MTS mode.

Does anyone have any tips which would allow me to drilldown further into this? Or is session uga/pga memory as far as I can go? Is there a way to look at a session and see exactly what it's uga/pga memory is being used for?

I don't recall noticing this problem before so I assume a developer introduced some code recently that has caused this.

I appreciate any advice on what I might want to look for.

Thanks
Gavin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Dec 05 2000 - 10:32:25 CST