Re: Differences between Oracle RDBMS and MS SQL Server

From: Tim Kannel <tdkannel_at_bitstream.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 22:47:59 -0600

> > - Oracle's handling of date/time strings is much less flexible than
> > SQL server
>
> Yes, SQLServer can generate 100's of a second time slices ...
> to that granularity.

I wasn't referring to granularity. I was referring to SQL server's automatic conversion from strings to datetime values (Oracle is too restrictive on the format of the string unless you use the TO_DATE function), and SQL server's convenient date-related functions (eg., dateadd(), datediff(), etc.).

> Why in the world would you want a 100-character table or column name?
> 30 characters are more than sufficient.

I have groups of tables and groups of procedures with a certain naming convention within the group. Each item within the group has a certain prefix in the name, followed by a component that's more specific. The resulting identifiers are often more than 20 characters. If Oracle's identifier limit was at least 40 characters then I'd have much less reason to complain about it.

> > - AFAIK, Oracle has no equivalent to SQL server's "top n" in select
 clause
> > (rownum comparisons don't count)
>
> And why don't ROWNUM comparisons count?

rownum comparisons in the where clause don't work the same as "top n" when an "order by" clause is present. Received on Tue Dec 05 2000 - 22:47:59 CST