Re: Limit of Oracle databases on Linux

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 14:11:27 GMT

Now we get to the crux of the matter. MS SQL Server uses the term "database" differently than Oracle does. The Oracle word that most closely matches this term is "tablespace". Yes, you can have 200 tablespaces per Oracle instance. In order to better understand the Oracle terminology, you should heed Sybrand's advice and read the Oracle Concepts manual. It details the following terms: instance, database, tablespace. It also gives you TONS of other useful information.

HTH,
Brian

reweiner_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> I just ask this because with MS-SQL Server you can actually run 200
> databases per server. It does not instance a process for each database.
>
> I did not think about yet if this is a real advantage or not... but for
> my kind of business, it will be perfect to offer a non-expensive Oracle
> solution to my clients.
>
> Anyway, thanks again.
>
> In article <90h5af$1778u$9_at_ID-62141.news.dfncis.de>,
> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> > Each database is managed by one instance.
> > If you want to manage 150-200 instances per server, just forget about
 that,
> > it is not possible.
> > Probably you need to implement 150-200 different schemas in one
 database.
> > Still undesirable, but possible.
> >
> > As it looks like you didn't read it, I *urge* to read the Oracle
 Concepts

> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I'm going to start hosting database Oracles on Linux. Does anybody a
> > > limit of databases that I can create on it ? Is there any rule I
 should
> > > follow when I will size up my installation ? ( I'm thinking of a
 number
> > > between 150-200 small databases per server. Is that possible ?? )
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Renato - Brasil.
> > >

> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.