Re: Differences between Oracle RDBMS and MS SQL Server

From: Barbara Kennedy <barbken_at_teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 23:08:33 -0800

Yes, you can have server side cursors. But MS tells you not to use them. Also If you select too many rows you get lock escalation. In Oracle readers never block writers (or other readers).

Fairly easy to resize a redo log. It can't be an active one (can always force a log switch if you want to resize the one that is active).

Jim

"Lewis Bruck" <lbruck_at_nwlink.com> wrote in message news:3a2c8b2c_1_at_news.nwlink.com...
> A couple of notes:
>
> Data spaces (or filegroups in SQL Server lingo) can have multiple files in
> them.
>
> SQL Server has it's own set of hints to specify join execution strategy
 and
> order.
>
> Cursors are supported as both a client and server-side programming
 paradigm.
> You have to use ODBC or OLE/DB to use them vs. ADO, but that is a
 developer
> choice.
>
> The lack of multi-column IN clauses, MINUS, and INTERSECT are true...but
> they can be worked around.
>
> Mike Krolewski <mkrolewski_at_rosetta.org> wrote in message
> > In article <90ge8n$4as$1_at_porthos.nl.uu.net>,
> > "J. Pieters" <jeroen.pieters_at_bluewater-group.com> wrote:
> > > What kind of things can you not do on the fly with SQL Server but can
 wih
> > > Oracle?
> > >
> > > James Williams wrote in message

 <3a2b96a8.3170911_at_news.mindspring.com>...
> [...]
 RDBMS

 Oracle

 it's
 read