Re: Start Oracle on Linux manually

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 15:31:09 GMT

In our last gripping episode "Martin Keller" <martin.keller_at_dermartin. de> wrote:
> Thank you for your reply. Your tip worked :-).
>
> Sorry, that I didn´t specify the problems I had exactly.
> If I use dbstart, nothing happens. I get a prompt (no messages) and no
> processes will be started.
>
> Best regards
> Martin
>
> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > 'It doesn't work' is usually insufficient clue to resolve a problem.
 Please
> > try to be *exact*.
> > If you want to start the database manually (which is of course an
 obvious
> > well documented question)
> > you need to login as oracle, set your ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME
 (preferably
> > by running . oraenv), run svrmgrl followed by connect internal
 followed by
> > startup.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
> >
> > "Martin Keller" <martin.keller_at_der-martin.de> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am a new Oracle User. Today I installed Oracle 8.1.7 on Suse
 Linux.
 The
> > > installation was successful, the database was running, SQLPLUS was
 working
> > > fine.
> > >
> > > After the next reboot, I tried to restart the database with
 dbstart. But
 it
> > > doesn´t work :-(. I found nothing in the documenation.
> > >
> > > Could anybody tell me how to start the database manually ?
> > >
> > > Thanks a lot
> > > Martin

Since dbstart utilizes a /etc/oratab I would first check for the existence of that file on your system. /etc/oratab is a colondelimited  file that lists the SID, the value for ORACLE_HOME and a single character to tell dbstart/dbshut whether to start the instance or not:

MyDB:/u01/oracle/product/8.1.7:Y

If the /etc/oratab file had the above entries the instance identified by SID MyDB, having ORACLE_HOME /u01/oracle/product/8.1.7 would be started when dbstart was executed since the final field in the record is 'Y'. Were this value 'N' dbstart would not start the instance. /etc/oratab is used to manage instance startup; there can be multiple instances listed in /etc/oratab and only the ones with a 'Y' in the final position will start 'automatically' when dbstart is executed:

MyDB:/u01/oracle/product/8.1.7:Y

MyDB2:/u01/oracle/product/8.1.7:N
MyDB3:/u01/oracle/product/8.1.7:N
MyDB4:/u01/oracle/product/8.1.7:Y
MyDB5:/u01/oracle/product/8.1.7:N
MyDB6:/u01/oracle/product/8.1.7:N
MyDB7:/u01/oracle/product/8.1.7:N

Let us consider the above /etc/oratab file. There are eight instances available on this server, all having the same ORACLE_HOME. Two of these are set to start when dbstart is executed, MyDB and MyDB4. The other instances will not be started. Of course, this file can be changed with a text editor:

MyDB:/u01/oracle/product/8.1.7:N

MyDB2:/u01/oracle/product/8.1.7:N
MyDB3:/u01/oracle/product/8.1.7:Y
MyDB4:/u01/oracle/product/8.1.7:N
MyDB5:/u01/oracle/product/8.1.7:Y
MyDB6:/u01/oracle/product/8.1.7:Y
MyDB7:/u01/oracle/product/8.1.7:Y

The changes take effect the next time you run dbstart or dbshut. Don't change the /etc/oratab file until after you've run dbshut; if the previous /etc/oratab was used to start the instances, then the changes listed above were made, then dbshut was used to shut down the instances the two instances started from the previous version of /etc/oratab would not be shut down since they are no longer marked with a 'Y'. Of course you can shut down individual instances through svrmgrl but if you are planning on using the dbstart/dbshut pair of scripts to start and stop your instances changes to the /etc/oratab file between dbstart and dbshut could leave instances running that you would not be aware of.

I hope this is not confusing to you. Should you have any questions please feel free to email me at oratune_at_aol.com or davidf_at_bcgsystems.com.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/