monitoring uncommited transactions?

From: <gdas_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 01:30:16 GMT

Hi,

Aside from monitoring the size of the rollback segments, is there any way to monitor the number of uncommitted transactions in the database? I thought that the view DBA_PENDING_TRANSACTIONS would do the trick, but it didn't return what I expected. (With the DB idle, I sent an update from one session and without committing it, I issued a count(*) against dba_pending_transactions from another session. I was expecting to be returned "1", but it returned "0").

The reason I'm asking is because this a dev system. Someone recently introduced a bug whereby the application didn't commit any of it's work . After a few hours, the entire DB halted and was complaining that all rollback segments were full and that the max number of transactions had been exceeded.

A fix was attempted, and the developers have asked me if there is a way to monitor the commit activity in the db so that they can be sure it's fixed.

Does anyone know of a way? (This is on version 8.1.5).

Thanks for any help,
Gavin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Dec 04 2000 - 19:30:16 CST