Re: ORACLE and the WEB problem

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 19:38:29 GMT

Have you talked to your school's system administrators about this one. There are many different issues which could be causing your problems or giving you difficulty. Too many different issues to even enumerate in this thread. Please contact your system's technical professionals and ask for their assistance.

HTH,
Brian

bigbinc wrote:

> Here is my situtation. For a school project I am using a web site with
> an Oracle database. Simple enough. I am a student and I am using the
> computer science's account, Oracle and WebSpace. So all that being
> said, the purpose of this post as you guessed, this interaction doesnot
> work. I am trying to link my Oracle database which I created under my
> name with the web site. I have tried about a million different
> approaches. The first approach which seemed like the most fun was to
> use ProC/C++ and create an executable and place it on the web. The
> executable had oracle statements including logging on and a simple
> select. This worked fine on the local machine. Once I placed the
> executable on the CS site, it connected to Oracle but I got an error
> (oracle error1012something?) This same code worked on the local
> machine, didnt work on my site. Ok, after this failed 100 times, I
> tried using ASP and VB and ADO. For some strange reason I tried the
> asp code with an html form page and the asp code with a simple select,
> the code worked fine. But I came back a week later and the code didnot
> work....(thanksgiving holiday). So code works one week, the next it
> doesnt, strange. So I am at this point with the asp code. I have
> tried 3 different types of connects.
>
> If any body has any ideas on how to fix the problem it be most very
> helpful.
>
> Here is the asp code. Note the three different types of connects.
>
> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
> <TITLE>Login</TITLE>
> </head>
>
> <%_at_language="VBScript"%>
>
> <%
> Dim bDebugging
>
> Sub TraceStart()
> bDebugging = True
> DebugIt "Tracing started"
> End Sub
>
> Sub TraceStop()
> DebugIt "Tracing stopped"
> bDebugging = False
> End Sub
>
> Sub DebugIt( strString )
> If bDebugging Then
> Response.Write "Debugging: " & strString & "<br>"
> End If
> End Sub
>
> Sub TraceProcedureStart( strProcedure )
> DebugIt strProcedure & " started"
> End Sub
>
> Sub TraceProcedureEnd( strProcedure )
> DebugIt strProcedure & " ended"
> End Sub
>
> Sub CheckError()
> Response.Write "<br>Error Description is: " & Err.Description
> & ".<br>"
> End Sub
> %>
>
> <%
> TraceStart()
> Set ConnA = server.createobject("adodb.connection")
>
> 'DSN-less connection
> strConnA = "DRIVER={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle};
> SERVER=students; UID=name; PWD=xxxxxx"
>
> 'OLE DB connection
> [...]

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at