Re: how do i connect sqlplus without indicating the service name?

From: Jennifer Chang <jchang_at_uxb2b.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 09:50:36 +0800

sorry that I forgot to mention I'm working under Unix environment set the ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID already. got an error message if i tried "sqlplus system/manager"

ERROR:
ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

the database is already running. all the backgroud processes are running. thank you

"Verna Legaspi" <vlegaspi_at_uswest.net> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó news:qxHW5.5571$WW1.728550_at_news.uswest.net...
> Make sure your OS knows about your instance.
>
> If you're on Unix, for example, make sure you have the SID environment
> variable set to your database sid. Also make sure you have the proper
> ORACLE_HOME and LD_LIBRARY_PATHs set.
>
> For NT, I believe you just have to set your Oracle Home to your database's
> oracle home.
>
> HTH,
> Verna
>
> "Jennifer Chang" <jchang_at_uxb2b.com> wrote in message
> > as title
> > need help configuring necessary files.
> >
> > for example :
> > >sqlplus system/manager