Re: Oracle Row size

From: Joe Maloney <jrpm_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 14:14:39 GMT

I have tables that size. Oracle doesn't have a problem.

I strongly suggest partitioning, even if somehow all 192M are active. If you are going to get any performance at all, you better have indexes. If you partition, the indexes can be local (depending on keys, etc), saving i/o as in when the indexes automatically rebalance, as would the table partitions themselves. You definitely want to avoid table scans if possible.

Also, put each partition in it's own tablespace (maybe with it's indexes, maybe not, depending on size, media etc.) and make it locally managed if possible.

If the data has any 'significant' variability (update/delete), I would avoid clustering.

--
Joseph R.P. Maloney, CCP,CSP,CDP
MPiR, Inc.