Re: Oracle instance won't shutdown

From: <b_rohit_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 23:15:29 GMT

if possible do the following steps

  1. shutdown the unix server
  2. Startup this instance only and execute a complex query which should return at least 100 records. If this query works fine then down the database.
  3. if it behaves same as before then I suggest take the backup and recreate the database.

Rohit

In article <%MEW5.17$597.582720_at_news.interact.net.au>,   "Chuan Zhang" <chuan_at_asiaonline.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have this problem two days ago.
> I could not wait one hour to shutdown the instance. I have to take
 abort.
> But when I startup, it is normally except DBW0 takes half of CPU to do
> something. It last almost two hours.
>
> I notice that there are lots of framentation in the temporary
 tablespace. I
> coalesced it. After that, shutdown and startup again. The same story
> happened again. I ensure there were no other transaction going on at
 that
> time. I totally lost.
>
> ANy idea what cause this happen. It's on Solaris 2.7, Oracle 8.0.6,
>
> Thanks
>
> Joe Maloney <jrpm_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > It is possible that a very active server can take a long time to do
> > anything other than a shutdown abort, even without a long rollback.
> >
> > I have an 8.0.5 NT4 server that once took 17 hours to come down on a
> > shutdown normal. (There were no users online, I made sure they all
> > logged off.) Oracle Tech said it was unusual, but sometimes it can
> > take that long, depending on system load, etc. particularly if the
 box
> > had not gone through a shutdown normal for a while. They said it
 was
> > probably writing dirty blocks back to the datafiles.
> >

> > In article <9092ka$qpb$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > sungeek_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for the info. However, this doesn't seem to be related to
 what
> > > we are seeing in the trace files and alert logs.
> > >
> > > SG
> > >
> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.
> > >

> > --
> > Joseph R.P. Maloney, CCP,CSP,CDP
> > MPiR, Inc.
> > 502-451-7404
> > some witty phrase goes here, I think.
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Dec 04 2000 - 17:15:29 CST