ORACLE and the WEB problem

From: bigbinc <bigbinc_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 09:24:41 GMT

Here is my situtation. For a school project I am using a web site with an Oracle database. Simple enough. I am a student and I am using the computer science's account, Oracle and WebSpace. So all that being said, the purpose of this post as you guessed, this interaction doesnot work. I am trying to link my Oracle database which I created under my name with the web site. I have tried about a million different approaches. The first approach which seemed like the most fun was to use ProC/C++ and create an executable and place it on the web. The executable had oracle statements including logging on and a simple select. This worked fine on the local machine. Once I placed the executable on the CS site, it connected to Oracle but I got an error (oracle error1012something?) This same code worked on the local machine, didnt work on my site. Ok, after this failed 100 times, I tried using ASP and VB and ADO. For some strange reason I tried the asp code with an html form page and the asp code with a simple select, the code worked fine. But I came back a week later and the code didnot work....(thanksgiving holiday). So code works one week, the next it doesnt, strange. So I am at this point with the asp code. I have tried 3 different types of connects.

If any body has any ideas on how to fix the problem it be most very helpful.

Here is the asp code. Note the three different types of connects.

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Login</TITLE>
</head>

<%_at_language="VBScript"%>

<%
Dim bDebugging

Sub TraceStart()

   bDebugging = True
   DebugIt "Tracing started"
End Sub

Sub TraceStop()

   DebugIt "Tracing stopped"
   bDebugging = False
End Sub

Sub DebugIt( strString )

   If bDebugging Then

      Response.Write "Debugging: " & strString & "<br>"    End If
End Sub

Sub TraceProcedureStart( strProcedure )

   DebugIt strProcedure & " started"
End Sub

Sub TraceProcedureEnd( strProcedure )

   DebugIt strProcedure & " ended"
End Sub

Sub CheckError()

   Response.Write "<br>Error Description is: " & Err.Description & ".<br>"
End Sub
%>

<%

	TraceStart()
	Set ConnA = server.createobject("adodb.connection")

	'DSN-less connection
	strConnA = "DRIVER={Microsoft ODBC for Oracle};
SERVER=students; UID=name; PWD=xxxxxx"
	'OLE DB connection
	strConnB = "Provider=MSDAORA.1; Data Source=students; User
ID=name; Password=xxxxxx"

        strConnC = "DSN=students; UID=name; PWD=xxxxxxx"

   // ConnA.Open "provider=MSDAORA; dsn=students;uid=name;pwd=xxxxxx"

          ConnA.Open strConnC

   CheckError()

	Debugit("Hello")
	TraceProcedureStart("Loading Objects")

	//ConnA.Close
	//Set ConnA		= Nothing

	TraceStop()

%>

</HTML>

Disregard the debugging code.
Connects A generate an Oracle Error

Error Type:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005) [Microsoft][ODBC driver for Oracle][Oracle] /hahmed/test99.asp, line 55

B generates the same error for the top line, but on the next line it says the error could not be resolved.

C generates this error:

Error Type:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005) [Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-12638: Credential retrieval failed /hahmed/test99.asp, line 55

Here is the top line of my sqlnet.ora file also SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS) Please tell me that Oracle is not this complicated. Please tell me that the error checking is better than that...

Berlin Brown
bigbinc_at_hotmail.com

--
"...yes darling, computers are people too..."
http://bama.ua.edu/~brown084/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.