Re: Extents - Reducing Number Of

From: Leonard F Clark <lfc_at_zoom.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 17:51:57 GMT

Scott

Yes, there are a few tools on the market, including TSReorg (owned, I think, by Platinum now).

However, there are other options for manual approach. In particular, if you have enough space, you can:

  1. set the session to restricted mode (for safety)
  2. drop all triggers, constraints and indexes on the target table(s);
  3. manually create a new table (with correct sizes);
  4. copy contents across;
  5. rename old table;
  6. rename new name to original table name;
  7. re-create the original indexes and constraints (which implies you kept or made new create scripts before you junked the old table;
  8. similarly re-create triggers.
  9. after suitable testing, drop the old table.

Is it any better approach?