unique index on upper

From: <seanldus_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 18:08:53 GMT

Hi all,

I would like to insure that a field on a table is unique (regardless of case) in other words if foo exists, I don't want to be able to insert Foo, etc.

To do this would I put an unique index on upper of the field name?

The oracle documentation says that if you want to create a unique constraint, that you should do just that(using alter table) and let the db create the index rather than using the create index command. Does this keep me from making the index on upper?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Dec 01 2000 - 12:08:53 CST