Re: cross reference index

From: Mike Krolewski <mkrolewski_at_rosetta.org>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 00:32:58 GMT

In article <909d0o$s91_at_dispatch.concentric.net>,   "Jim Poe" <jpoe_at_fulcrumit.com> wrote:

> --
> Jim Poe ( jpoe_at_fulcrumit.com )
>
> > One could automate this for the user -- parsing out spaces and
> > converting then into '%'. Not hard programming.
> >
> > I have written code that did lookup based on the initial letters -->
> > looking for 'ACME' as company_name like 'A%C%M%E%'. Again for small
> > tables (~10,000 rows) the database was more than fast enough
 especially
> > if the company_name was part of an index. Again not hard
 programming in
> > forms.
>
> Hmm, maybe I am not being creative enough with the 'like' syntax.
 What is
> 'A%C%M%E%' saying?

Is is trying to match anything with A followed by zero of more letters than 'C' followed by zero or more letters ...

It is useful to match kind-a-sorta spelling of words

       eg mcdonald would find 'mac donald', 'mc donald', 'mcdonalds'

       Oracle is of course case sensitive and would not find 'McDonald'

       Good news is that indexes can have functions like upper() to convert all data to upper for searching.

--
Michael Krolewski
Rosetta Inpharmatics

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/