Re: Oracle 8.1.6 data file with 2GB or more in Red Hat Linux

From: Darryl Batten <dbatten_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 17:00:05 -0800

I am running Enterprize 8i on Solaris and Veritas and even tho I have large file support I limit myself to the 2 gig max. This way you avoid any nasty bugs as
largefile support is fairly new and 2 gigs is enuf to suffle around at a time.

Lose a datafile on a 20 gig tablespace with 10 2 gig files and you need to get
2 gigs off tape. Lose it on one with 1 20 gig datafile and you need to get 20
gigs off tape.

Plus UNIX based inode file systems end up using multple indirect block adresses in
large space allocations so more disk blocks read just to find out which disk block to read. The Veritas File System is extent based and so doesn't suffer from indirect addressing but I still keep my 2 gig limit.

Andy Cowling wrote:

> Large file support isn't implemented even on Oracle for Linux even
> though some Linux distributions/filesystems handle files > 2Gb.
>
> This is because Oracle only support the 'lowest common denominator'
> across Linux distribtions.
> --
> Andy Cowling
> Red Eye International