contingency planning for hardware failures?

From: <gdas_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:50:46 GMT

Hi,

We are just a few months away from the launch of our system. I'm currently trying to do a scenario report for potential disasters that might occur and their impacts on the database (and ultimately the business!). The purpose of this is to make sure that we have all the redunant components and procedures in place.

Specifically in regards to the database, does anyone know of a good resource (book, magazine, web site) that discusses failure probabilities of hardware? Or can anyone answer these questions here?

We'll be running Oracle 8.1.6 on Sun Enterprise servers.

I have a hunch that the highest probability of failure will be in the disk drives, followed by the disk controllers. What other hardware components do you think I should be concerned about?

We don't have deep pockets so I don't think I can convince management to buy duplicate sun servers at $100K each and have them sitting idle in case of a failure. Unless of course the probability of a failure occurring on the motherboard or something like that is high enough.

I appreciate any feedback.
Thanks,
Gavin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Nov 30 2000 - 01:50:46 CST