Re: startup and shutdown oracle in solaris 8

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:51:45 GMT

In our last gripping episode Walter T Rejuney <BlueSax_at_Unforgetable.com> wrote:
> Juhan Kundla wrote:
>
> > Sic! Use oratab for what?
> >
> > The /etc/init.d/oracle script (or one of its subscripts) uses
 oratab to
> > check out the oracle SIDs. You still need the "oracle" script and
> > symlinks in /etc/rc?.d directory so initd daemon could start up the
> > Oracle instances.
> >
> > Juhan
>
> There are a lot of good reasons for not putting the startup directly
 on
> oratab. The orginal respondant had it correct when he said that
 the /etc/rc?.d
> method should be used. The only thing that I disagree with him on is
 that
> there are lots of systems that do not come up to run level 3. I
 personally
> work with dozens of servers that only come up to run level 2, so my
 S98oracle
> is in /etc/rc2.d.
>
> The other modification I would make to what he said is that you
 really need to
> be super conscious about what else is being run on the machine and
 the order
> that they must be started. I work with several systems where I must
 ensure
> that the listener and the database must start prior to starting other
> applications which use the database. At the same time, when the
 system is
> being rebooted I have to take the application down gracefully before
 I stop
> the database.

I, also, have worked on a number of systems that only boot to run level 2, but it has been years since I have seen this. Possibly this is because I am usually working on large-scale systems with a user community spread across a large geographical area and there is a need for the system to attain run level 3. My advice applies to whichever run level is 'standard' for the UNIX system in question. Also, I don't usually find applications listed in /etc/rc?.d, just system services, although I am not stating in any fashion that this cannot occur. You are quite correct that any application that needs the database (and is started by initd) needs to be started after the instance and listener are properly started and closed prior to shutting down those same Oracle services.

It matters not, really, which run level the system attains at boot time; what matters is that the symlinks are placed in the proper /etc/rc?.d directory to ensure that the Oracle processes are started when the system boots and stopped when the system is shut down.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/