Re: Oracle instance won't shutdown

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:29:30 GMT

In article <9061oi$ash$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   sungeek_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Oracle 8.0.6
> A normal shutdown will hang. Must use abort. Does anyone have an idea
> of what files should be checked to cure this problem. i.e. control
> files etc. This system has several instances and only one of them has
> this problem. This particular instance starts up ok and updates ok, it
> just refuses to shutdown normally.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Yes I have talked to Oracle support and they point to a hardware
> problem which we do not have any hardware problem. SUN support points
> back to oracle. A fun pissing match...

What do you mean by a normal shutdown?

In brief:
shutdown [normal] waits for everyone to log off which never happens

                    so database never shuts down

shutdown transaction I can't remember the details but see DBA Admin

shutdown immediate terminates in process sessions, rolls back,

                    and shuts down.  Probably most commonly used
                    shutdown command

shutdown abort     when all else fails or a previous shutdown command
                   was issued that has not completed

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.