Re: Visual Basic development against Oracle 8.1.7

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:44:44 +0200

"J. Pieters" <jeroen.pieters_at_bluewater-group.com> wrote

> Does anyone out there has any experience with Visual Basic applications
> using an Oracle database.

 <snipped>
> The advantages and disadvantages.
> Performance issues.

Maybe VB has improved... but none of client-server development experiences (both as a developer and project leader) using VB have not failed to kick me in the nuts.. hard and repeatedly.

Back with VB 4 we ran some sniffer tests. Open database. Select count. Close database. VB4 and Delphi 3. Both using the exact same ODBC driver. VB 4 generated almost FOUR TIMES!! the network traffic than Delphi 3.

With VB 6 and Delphi 4 I did a similar exercise. But it was a bit more complex as VB 6 allowed a plethora of confusing connectivity options.. ADO, RDO, ODBC, etc. etc. The default results were even more shocking with VB 6 generating a lot of crap (best word to describe) on the network. Again Delphi performed a lot better. I did a lot of tuning to the VB 6 app and finally managed to reduce the crap to almost nothing and got proper and consistent performance from it.. however, Delphi worked that way the first time around...

Then there are language issues. VB is a very poor OO language. Object Pascal used by Delphi gives you the same power and flexibility than C++. And the same performance as a C++ executable. I've also used Delphi to write backend apps like a TCP transaction server that ran as a NT service. Delphi covers the complete development spectrum - from stand-alone apps, client-server apps to server side apps, webbased CGI's and DLL's...

Not too mention that the next generation Delphi (called Kylix) will enable me to compile my Delphi code on Linux.

Guess what development system I'm using exclusively today..?

regards,
Billy Received on Thu Nov 30 2000 - 00:44:44 CST