Re: Oracle, C++ and solaris wrong idea??

From: Mike Krolewski <mkrolewski_at_rosetta.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:05:11 GMT

> > Hi,
> >
> > I have to make a server in C++ with Oracle on solaris.
> > For Windows there is OBDC, for Java, JDBC and for solaris (or
 another UNIX)
> > is there an odbc api or have we to use the (horrible) Pro C??
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> > Jean-Philippe Vigniel

I agree with the respondent.

proC is extremely powerful. Because it uses SQLNet, the transport layer is 10 times faster than ODBC or JDBC. It has none of the limitations of ODBC. Basically, if you can write the SQL, you can execute it in proC. That includes SQL, cursors, and PL/SQL

Having said that, you really need to fully extend the proC environment including using the sqlca and adding in C++ exception handling.There is a lot of typing. And fetchs are even more typing when you include all the indicator variables. Also the basic coding method is very C like, and you have to think hard to create a good C++ environment.That first makefile is a killer -- especially if you are not fluent in the development environment.

Your other possible environment is OCI -- I think a much inferior environment. There are at least one wrapper that adds streams and some other features to OCI. Still I would like proC over this.

Another possible environment is to use perl and DBI. I doubt you would want to develop a server in it.

--
Michael Krolewski
Rosetta Inpharmatics

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/