Re: # of Instances Possible/server

From: Kevin Grant <K.Grant_at_nowhere.com.au>
Date: 29 Nov 2000 22:03:01 GMT

robw_at_physics.umd.edu (Rob Williamson) wrote in <3A22ADC8.7109DA1D_at_physics.umd.edu>:

>I have been looking for documentation on how to decide how many
>instances you can have running on one Server.
>I am using Digital ( Compaq ) Unix and Have 2 instances running.
>I want to start a 3rd but was wondering what numbers you use to decide.
>Obviously Disk space for the actual dbf files but what about Ram
>and the SGA and anything else. Is there some basic rule of thumb.
>I am using small databases here under 50 Meg each on the disk and not
>high traffic either.
>Thanks in Advance
>Rob

We have a development server here (Sun E10K node with 8 processors and 4GB memory running Solaris 2.7) that runs 49 instances (not a misprint - 49). Most are 8.0.6 with a couple of 7.3.4 and 8.1.6 thrown in. Most have very few connections, a few have a lot more. The server is connected to two A5000 disk arrays and a D1000 disk array with a total of 35 9GB disks.

We run peoplesoft and have contracted Anderson's as the implementation project managers ;)

Kev. Received on Wed Nov 29 2000 - 16:03:01 CST