Re: Oracle on OpenVMS or Unix

From: Syltrem <syltrem_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:13:28 -0500

Hi!

I will never take 2 boxes of Unix in replacement of my box of OpenVMS (remember the soap ad?). Not even 50 Unix boxes.

Reason: OpenVMS is a lot sturdier and fault tolerant (VMSclusters - true clusters - and all that) . It also is easier to manage (I don`t want to start an OS war here, just my opinion and that of thousands of others). Why use borborygm sounding commands when english-like can do? Anyway...

There was a post yesterday (or was it on Monday?) on this NG about forthcoming releases of Oracle on OpenVMS. This might be of interest to you; just look for earlier posts. All I can say is that OpenVMS is a very stable OS and if you buy a new, faster machine (what we did 2 weeks ago) and boot it in the cluster, all you have to do is shutdown your db on the old one and start it on the new one. Nothing more simple. OpenVMS will evolve with your needs, always did for 23 years. It also is the most easily connected OS to WinNT (domains and stuff), if you have NT boxes around.

Syltrem