drives/arrays performance for oracle on sun...

From: <chuck_at_ribofunk.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 00:47:37 GMT

Hi-

I am wondering if anyone has information on Performance Analysis done between running RAID 0+1 on older Sparc StorEdge Arrays (SSA200) that can use 4GB drives, or running on a new SSA5200, which, I believe, can use Fiber Channel-Arbitrary Loop (FC-AL) drives, but must be 9 GB minimum....or 18 GB minimum for FC-AL drives. (The newer arrays also include a Fast Write Cache.) The drive specs say the FC-AL drives can burst up to 106 MB/s, but usually have sustained rates only 2 MB/s higher than SCSI. Other than that, I would think striping multiple 4GB SCSI's with 10000rpm (and mirroring across seperate arrays) would suffice (as long as there is FC from the machine to the array controllers.)

Typical environment this may house is:
- 24x7 Oracle 8i (with hot-standby server)

Any comments on the new technology versus the old technology? I would think having to stripe 18GB drives is a waste of space unless you are setting up a VLDB with tons of GB or even TB... but maybe the FC-AL technology burst and fast cache make up for it, so striping isn't needed, although you'd still want to seperate data and indexes to seperate drives.

Thanks for any insight...
chuck_at_ribofunk.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Nov 29 2000 - 18:47:37 CST