Re: NT vs W2k vs Unix

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 15:15:07 +0200

"Erling Sørensen" <hassing_at_mail.tele.dk> wrote >
> I have a question about whith OS is running an Oracle better.

away satan! :-)

> The database is now running under Windows NT 4.0, but I have heard that it
> would be better to change the OS to Unix. Is that true?
> In about a year I will change all OS systems on my servers and clients
 from
> NT and OS/2 to W2k. Should I wait untill then, and run the Oracle under
W2k?

Before this thread degrades into another one of those tiresome "which o/s is the best and has the biggest dick" debates, let me throw in my 2'c of water on a potential flame hazard...;-)

There are many factors that should be considered in deciding what o/s to choose. The "technical superiority" (for a lack of a better phrase) of the product is only one of the factors..

Ignoring the rants and raves.. NT is not a bad o/s. Nor is Unix. They both can do the job. However, in some case the one can do a better job than the other.

The question thus is, what is the job? Which brings up the various other factors such as:

- current o/s skills of your staff
- preferred hardware vendor (pricing and maintenance)
- in-house hardware support skills
- hardware platform growth
- IT/IS strategy ito of internet, intranet, network operating system
- etc. etc.

From a techie point of view, it is always easy to say what we think is the best. Hell, give me massive parallel cluster running Unix and Oracle Parallel Server anytime.. most DBA's will drool over the complexity, fun, power, frustration and challenges such a system will provide... but then a quad Pentium server may more than suffice for your needs at 1% of the cost.

Even if you are looking for technical qualifications as to why to choose one o/s above another, you need to specify criteria such as number of users, size of database, types of applications, and so on, to get a usable comparison. A straight o/s to o/s comparison is a useless and very futile exercise that those asses in marketing and sales usually embark on.. :-)

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Nov 29 2000 - 07:15:07 CST