Oracle OLE DB provider problem

From: <blazej75_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 20:46:58 GMT

Hi everybody,

THIS IS URGENT! We are developping an application that uses OLE DB to connect to different databases. One of them is Oracle. Currently we use the Microsoft's MDAC 2.6 OLE DB Oracle provider and we are having problems (we use Oracle 8i and Windows 2000). Problem description: we randomly get an error message saying: "Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider. Oracle error occured, but error message could not be retrieved from Oracle."
The weirdest thing that the Windows itself also sometimes displays that error if I create a UDL file, specify the proper database information and then click Test Connection. As far as we have investigated the problem, there's no rule. It works in more than 50% cases but sometimes just doesn't. It's not our application that's causing this problem because sometimes the Test Connection button from the UDL file's properties gives this error message right after logging in.

Does anybody have an idea how to solve this problem?

Last question: Oracle also provides a OLE DB provider. We should be able to get it from
ftp://ftp.oracle.com/pub/www/otn/other/ole-oo4o/OraOLEDB_81620.exe (or from the Web at:
http://technet.oracle.com/software/tech/nt/ole_db/software_index.htm) but the above link seems broken since a week. Does somebody have an idea where to get this file from?

Regards

         Michal Blazejczyk, Imaging Research

PS. Please reply to address: michal.blazejczyk_at_imaging.brocku.ca !

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Nov 28 2000 - 14:46:58 CST