Slightly off topic (apologies) - DBA on call rate?

From: Fuzzy <granta_at_nospam.student.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 02:14:29 GMT

Hi all,

My employer is starting to mumble the dreaded words "on call". This hasn't been an issue until recently (I'd like to say due to my masterly skills). What I have no clue about is what to ask for in terms of outside normal hours on-call rates, and rates when a call actually happens.

Any rough ideas out there of what kind of rate to expect/demand? (I don't need to know exact $$ unless you're comfortable with that, percentages of normal rate will do fine). The work will mostly be trouble-shooting critical Oracle performance problems, connectivity glitches, "Oh-my-god-I've-screwed-the-database" situations, emergency restores, etc.

Thanks in advance
Fuzzy