Why have redo logs on separate disks?

From: Niklas Danielsson <niklas.danielsson_at_eget.fi>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:29:14 +0200

Hello every one!

I have a question regarding redo logs.

We use a SUN solaris cluster with mirrored disks and today all redo logs reside on one disk. There are only one log file per "group".

My question is, what would I gain in safety by spreading the redo logs on more disks?

As I are told, every disk are mirrored and then the mirrored disks are mirrored to the other node in the cluster.

So, I can't see what I would gain by spreading the logs on more disks, other than performance.

Where can I find literature regarding this type of questions?

Grateful for answers,

Niklas (niklas.danielsson_at_eget.fi) Received on Mon Nov 27 2000 - 06:29:14 CST