Re: RESETTING A SEQUENCE

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 23:52:40 GMT

In our last gripping episode "Andrew Pahomov" <Pahomov_at_validio.com.ua> wrote:
> Or create sequence with cycle and writing simple script for cycle
 sequence
> until right value not find ;)
>
> Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> >
> > "SDG" <simong_at_explor.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > HOW DO YOU RESET A SEQUENCE NUMBER ?
> > >
> > > Thanks in anticipation
> > > SDG
> > >

> > First of all: please stop using caps.
> > You can reset a sequence by dropping and recreating it, alter
 sequence
 will
> > not work.
> >
> > Hth,
> > Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

A suggestion that I wouldn't take. I prefer to drop and recreate the sequence, as Sybrand stated, which is easier, faster and more reliable. Simply create a script to drop and recreate the sequence rather than write a script to cycle through a sequence to get it back to the desired value.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/