Re: Databases in Linux (Redhat)

From: Xavier Neys <xavier.neys_at_village.uunet.be>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 12:31:28 +0100

If you want the Oracle features like Triggers/Stored Procedures, Integrity/Foreign Key Constraints, Transactions, Outer Joins, JDBC/ODBC Drivers, C/C++ Pre-Processor for Embedded SQL, Perl and Python Access and many more for the price of PostqreSql (i.e. FREE) look no further than SAP DB.
SAP recently released its RDBMS in open source.

Check http://www.sap.com/solutions/technology/sapdb/

Here is an extract of SAP site

SAP DB is an open, SQL-based, relational database management system that provides high availability and performance scaling from small to very large implementations.
In addition, SAP DB goes beyond relational database technology by offering object orientation as well as support for managing unstructured data. It supports open standards including SQL, JDBC and ODBC; access from Perl and Python; and HTTP-based services with HTML or XML content. SAP DB is platform independent, so users can deploy it for a wide array of projects.
Since 1994, the SAP e-Business Solution is available on SAP DB technology. Today SAP DB is being used by nearly 800 customers.

You may also want to go directly to the FAQ page http://www.sap.com/solutions/technology/sapdb/

I have no interest in the SAP company but when such a major company decides to release such a great piece of software in open source, I believe the Linux community should support them.

Xavier Neys.

PS: 800 SAP customers mean thousands of users :-)

PPS: I am a newbie to Linux but have years of experience with Oracle/Unix. I still need to get my linux box up and running, than test this SAP DB and compare it with Oracle. This explains why I posted this with Outlook. Please forgive me :-)