Re: Oracle TNS error

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 21:22:39 +0100

<apmramos_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8vlo5b$u60$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> Hi All,
>
> We've got an installation where several NT clients connect (via ODBC)
> to a Oracle 8i database on a HP-UX box.
>
> One tnsnames.ora is used by all clients and it resides on a NT Server
> on the network. On it there is ONLY one definition and it is of our HP
> server with TCP/IP has the protocol.
>
> It works fine and the clients can connect, but sometimes and we can't
> pinpoint when, the clients stop being able to connect to the database.
>
> When we check the sqlnet.log we see the clients trying to connect using
> Bequeath as the protocol, and obviously to the local machine, SID name
> ORCL, etc. We close the app and eventualy a bit later everything is OK
> again and the client is using TCP/IP to connect to the Database again.
>
> Can you tell me why this is happening ? Does Net8 default to Bequeath
> when he is not able to use the tnsnames.ora indicated ?
>
> Help !
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

The servicename will default to Oracle, the SID to ORCL and yes, probably also to the bequeath protocol.
You could try
trace_level_client = 16
in sqlnet.ora at the client.
This *will* show you which -if any- tnsnames.ora is opened and what it's contents are.

Hth,
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sat Nov 25 2000 - 14:22:39 CST