make tablespace read only in Oracle 8.1.5

From: Bonminh Lam <mailbox_at_online.de>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 18:31:25 +0100

I read in a book that since 8i, the dba can make a tablespace read only even if there are active transactions. When the command "alter tablespace .. " is issued, Oracle supposedly would wait until the ongoing transaction is committed or rolled back and then proceed to make the ts readonly.

However this feature fails on my test. I was inserting/update a row in one session and on another session issuing the "alter tablespace users read only" command. I got the error

ORA-01640: cnnot make tablespace read only with active transactions

Any ideas?

I was testing on a 8.1.5 database under Linux.

--
To reply to me directly, please mail to: bmlam at online dot de