How do I speed up updates

From: Iain Wiseman <bibble_at_ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 13:12:53 +1300

I would like to update two columns in a table in bulk the fastest way possible. In general we do not have any insert or deletes, just updates. There are few indexes over this table as well.

We have made the initial extent a quarter of the expected total size. (3m)

What is the quicket way to do this ?

  EXEC SQL

      for :rowCount
      UPDATE
         MY_TABLE
      SET
         value          = value - :DeltaValue,
         ba.last_use = SYSDATE
      WHERE
         id = :myId;

I am currently using array updates but the CPU usage is very high. Are there ways to create views that contain just the key and the two columns and is this efficient ? What are my options. (This is currently in ProC).

We are looking to process over 200+ on an POLO running HPUX 10 something and oracle 8.0.6

Thanks Received on Fri Nov 24 2000 - 18:12:53 CST